IEM Katowice Major: Initial Seeding for the Challengers Stage Announced
ESL has conducted the seeding for the opening matches of the Challengers Stage of IEM Masters XIII – Katowice Major 2019, which will be held next week.
The New Challengers is the first stage of the major, which is scheduled for February 13th – 17th and will feature 16 teams competing in a Swiss System Format. ESL asked participating players to rate each opposing team on a scale from 1 to 15 to determine match-ups for the opening series. Based on the players average responses, the organizers assigned a ranking to each team. The team with the highest ranking was paired with team with the lowest ranking, no.2 team will play with no. 15 and so on. Thus, the opening matches will look as follows:
- Fnatic (#1) vs ViCi Gaming (#16)
- NRG Esports (#2) vs Winstrike Team (#15)
- Cloud9 (#3) vs Grayhound Gaming (#14)
- Ninjas in Pyjamas (#4) vs FURIA Esports (#13)
- ENCE Esports (#5) vs Team Spirit (#12)
- Vitality Gaming (#6) vs TyLoo (#11)
- G2 Esports (#7) vs Vega Squadron (#10)
- AVANGAR (#8) vs Renegades (#9)
Along with that, each team has been granted an ELO score depending on their initial seeding. This score will change throughout the competition depending on results of each team. ELO scores will also be used to determine the following match-ups.
Top eight teams from the New Challengers stage will advance to the New Legends stage, where they will face top eight teams from the previous major.