PUBG Update #14: New Anti-Cheat, Throwables and Attachments Adjustments
PUBG Corp. rolled out a new major update for PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds on Test Server. It introduced significant changes to the throwables mechanics, a new anti-cheat system, adjustments to the weapon attachments and some performance improvements. The main changes of the update are listed below.
Improvements have been made to throwables (frag grenades, stun grenades, and molotovs).
- Increased frag grenade damage and effective range
- Frags previously had to be within 2.6m of player models to deal lethal damage. They now deal lethal damage within 3.5m, moderate damage from 3.5m through 8.5m, and low damage from 8.5m through 10m.
- Stun grenades’ blinding effects have been improved
- First, let’s explain some terms. «Direct effect» is defined as stun grenade explosions occurring within a 100˚ angle of the player’s visual field. «Indirect effect» occurs when stun grenades explode outside of that «direct effect» range and players are within 5.5m of the explosion
- The maximum effective range of stun grenade has been increased to 20m
- Depending on distance from the explosion, the direct effect can blind the player for a maximum of 5.5 seconds, and a minimum of one second (when 20m away).
- Depending on distance from the explosion, the indirect effect can blind the player for a maximum of three seconds.
- Characters blinded by a stun grenade now cover their faces. This is a new animation.
- Spectators are now also blinded when spectating someone hit with a stun grenade
- Stun grenades will now briefly blind and deafen the thrower if they explode behind their back when cooked.
- You’ll now be unable to ADS while blinded.
- Molotov cocktails now have new effects and their damage has been increased.
- Molotovs can now deal indirect damage and burn damage (as damage over time), depending on whether or not you're standing directly in the flames. If you're in the flames you'll take both types of damage.
- Indirect damage (taken when standing in the flames) has been increased from 10 to 12.5 damage per second.
- After catching fire, players will take burn damage as damage over time (10 damage per second) for a total of four seconds.
- You’ll now be unable to ADS while taking burn damage.
- Flames now spread further along wooden surfaces in houses
Flames from Molotovs spread further if another Molotov is thrown on top of the flames.
- A new animation has been added for character models who are suffering burn damage. They’ll attempt to pat out the flames using their hands.
- Adjusting some weapon and attachment balance:
- Reduced vertical and horizontal recoil of the SCAR-L
- Decreased basic damage of the M24 from 88 to 79
- M24 will no longer dropped in care package. It spawns in the world
- The tactical stock and cheek pad are now less effective at improving recoil recovery rate. It now improves ADS speed.
- Adjusted light grip
- Light grip no longer affects weapon basic recoil control or recoil recovery speed
- Light grip now decreases first shot/single shot recoil by about 15%. Animation kick reduction has been changed to 20% (from 30%).
- To make the Vector a little easier to find, we’ve increased its spawn rate at the expense of the spawn rate of the UMP-9 (overall SMG spawn rate remains the same).
- Increased world spawn rate of DMRs.
Note: The new anti-cheat tech is currently only on the test servers, once additional testing is complete, it will be added to live servers.
We’ve added a new anti-cheat solution, developed in-house at PUBG Corp. Before we implement this tech on live servers, we’d first like to see how it works out on the test server. For this, we’ll need your help!
Expect to see a new popup when you start the client. It’d be more helpful for us if you run the anti-cheat tool using «SECURITY MODE,» but if that gives you problems, please choose «COMPATIBILITY MODE.»
- We’ve improved the character model rendering process to prevent some small frame drop issues.
- We’ve optimized character movement and animation while skydiving to improve framerate when multiple players are nearby.
- We’ve made some improvements to our network code to reduce network latency.
- We’ve increased the speed at which the server transfers data about objects (items, doors, fences) to address the fact that sometimes items spawn in late after players parachute in.
- We’ve improved some inefficient processes with the way the server updates certain frames on vehicles and character models. This should resolve resolve some abnormal physics affecting vehicles.
To learn about all changes of the update, head over to the official patch notes.